Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Australia have wrapped up their final practice session of the weekend as the teams get ready for tomorrows (Saturday) Jim Richard Endurance Trophy decider.
Drivers completed two 30-minute practice sessions today (Friday) with championship leader Jordan Love ending up the quickest man of the day on a 1:21.119 just 0.082 ahead of Anthony Gilbertson.
Third quickest in today’s sessions was second generation driver Brenton Grove in his Grove Racing Porsche. The Melbourne based competitor arrived at QR with a 63 point deficit to Love in the series standings but has his feet firmly planted, focusing on his exponential learning curve and gaining even more experience behind the wheel.
“The track was really good today,” Grove said.
“With Supercars having raced here last weekend there was quite a bit of grip down on track, but a little bit of rain last night made it a bit slippery this morning.
“It gripped up throughout the day and should make for great racing tomorrow.”
Queensland Raceway is still a relatively new circuit for Grove with him having only one visit to the track prior to this weekend.
“It’s my second time here; I raced here last year with Formula 4 which is a completely different car so essentially it feels like my first time here again.
“I think we made good progress today and I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s endurance race, should be a whole lot of fun.”
Sam Shahin finished Friday’s proceedings in fourth place while John Karytinos rounded out the top five.
The times are close at the head of the field so let’s see what unfolds tomorrow.
Qualifying and the 40 lap Jim Richards Endurance Trophy decider will be held tomorrow ahead of race two and race three on Sunday, which can both be viewed via the Shannons Nationals Live Stream.
Saturday August 05, 2017
10:50am Qualifying (20 minutes)
1:45pm Race 1 (40 laps)
Sunday August 06, 2017
10:00am Race 2 (12 laps)
12:45pm Race 3 (12 laps)
Combined times – Practice 1 & 2
1. #79 Jordan Love (Professional Class) Sonic Motor Racing/Quintis – 1:12.1192*
2. #19 Anthony Gilbertson (Elite Class) Hallmark Homes – 1:12.2017s
3. #23 Brenton Grove (Professional Class) Grove Hire – 1:12.4740s
4. #13 Sam Shahin (Elite Class) HTFU – 1:12.8527s
5. #16 John Karytinos (Elite Class) Richmonds Automotive – 1:13.0811s
6. #84 Brett Boulton (Elite Class) Bold Living – 1:13.1226s
7. #34 John Morriss (Elite Class) Motorsport Leasing P/L – 1:14.2546s
8. #29 Rob Woods (Elite Class) Platinum Nightclub – 1:14.3245s
9. #99 Ross McGregor (Elite Class) Southern Star Windows – 1:14.7518s
10. #21 Shane Barwood (Elite Class) Melbourne Orthopaedic Group – 1:14.9841s
11. #88 Phil Morriss (Elite Class) Morriss Racing Services – 1:15.0423s
12. #11 Brendan Cook (Class B) Cairns Steel Fabrication – 1:15.1799s
13. #9 Tony Martin (Elite Class) The Triffid Bar + Venue – 1:15.3740s
14. #87 David Greig (Class B) 1:16.5632s